Unfair review #8
About Schmidt is the last film I saw. It's good and bad, in pretty much equal measures.
- Jack Nicholson playing the old man he actually is (or would be if he lived in the real world, not Hollywood).
- The many little moments of comedy, most of them recognisable from real life.
- The deep sadness of the main character.
- The lack of direction in the story - it meanders, seemingly as if it was made up on the spot. This can't be the case, as it originated as a novel, but it seemed that way to me.
- The deep sadness of the main character - I know I've got this as a good point, but even with the final scene of the film, I found it rather unrelenting, and (I'll admit) a little bit overwhelming.
- The length. ***SPOILER*** This is the longest World Vision child sponsorship advertisement I've ever seen. ***SPOILER***
I'll watch it again when I'm 60 (hopefully the holographic re-dub will be out by then).