Saturday, May 20, 2006

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


When I first heard about this, I was very excited. Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, and the promise of something a lot closer to the book than the original movie was.

Then I saw a pre-release trailer, and I went right off the whole idea.

Now I've seen the movie, and while it was definitely better than the trailer indicated, it wasn't as good as I'd originally hoped for. Mr. Depp's Willy Wonka character seemed all wrong to me, and I didn't like the new Wonka backstory too much, didn't really seem necessary.

I'd also forgotten just how annoying Tim Burton's style can be, especially when it's combined with Danny Elfman's trademark intrusive and overbearing score.

Still and all, it wasn't too bad, but I'd have to say that I prefer the first movie.

1 comment:

afraid said...

Ain't seen it, but I couldn't see how it might be better than the original. Not that the original is magnificent - it's merely okay - but the way they were doing it here seemed the opposite of what I might enjoy.

And if there's one thing that's guaranteed to have me running screaming from a film/TV entertainment, it's a Danny Elfman score. It rules over Desperate Housewives like an annoying, attention-seeking little brother. "Look at me! Look at what I can do!"